What is Coinsurance?
Coinsurance is a term that may refer to several forms of shared risk between an insurer and an insured. In general, coinsurance is a type of insurance coverage where two or more entities share the cost of an insurance policy. In some cases, the insurer pays a fixed percentage of the total cost of the claim, while the insured pays the remaining percentage.
Coinsurance in More Detail
The most common form of coinsurance is found in health insurance policies. In this type of coinsurance, the insured pays a certain percentage of the cost of medical services while the insurance company pays the remaining percentage. For example, if a policy has a coinsurance rate of 80/20, the insurer will cover 80% of the cost of the medical services and the insured will cover the remaining 20%.
In property insurance policies, coinsurance is often used to encourage policyholders to insure for the full value of the property. This type of coinsurance requires the insured to insure the property for at least a certain percentage of its value. If the property is not insured for the full amount, the insurer will not cover the full amount of the loss, and the insured will have to pay the difference.
Coinsurance may also refer to a risk-sharing agreement between two or more insurers. Under this type of coinsurance, each insurer agrees to pay a portion of the claim, depending on the amount of the loss. Coinsurance agreements are typically used in situations where the risk of loss is too great for one insurer to cover alone.
In summary, coinsurance is a form of shared risk between an insurer and an insured. It is often used in health and property insurance policies to encourage policyholders to insure for the full value of the property, or to share the risk in situations where the risk of loss is too great for one insurer to cover alone.
Subscribe to The Shield
A bite-sized newsletter outlining industry insights & best practices for high-growth companies.